Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14093

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Richard,
actually we were in the worst position that one coud be in, we were between two typhoons, one to the north and one to the south.
We had been tasked with shadowing a russian DLG.As I remember that ship was about the same size as our DLGs but all of his armament was missiles. ship to ship and ship to air. i remember thnking at the time that I would not want to tangle with these folks. glad we never had to. I also remember going along side of them and wondering which side had the most cameras!

Second part of you question, yes after that we went in to Hokadate and yes they had a protest march during our stay and we were insturcted to stay off of the streets during there march.
I remember that I and a couple of other guys found this nice family bar and wound up with a family that showed us all around hakodate and on our last night there they gave us a very wonderful true japanese dinner I was truly touched. The girl that I met there wrote to me for two years. Have a lot of fond meories of that visit.
Ken

Edited by - Ken Keeler on 02/17/2001 21:44:10

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14094

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Ken, You were really lucky with that family. How did you find them? Sounded really cool. I remember that when we were in Sasebo, we had been asked to volunteer to go into a Japanese high school to speak English to those kids. I volunteered, and made friends with a family like that. I also was invited to their house for dinner, and also wrote for a year or two after we left. It really was great. Thanks for helping me with some of these memories.
You know, I think we've all thought more of the old days in the past couple of weeks than we have in many years, and the more I think of them, the more I realize what great and exciting memories we all have.
I really want to see 21 again, but if she doesn't hurry, I might not be able to get away. I really hope to see all of you guys again.
Thanks Ken for helping me with my memories, and thanks for keeping up with her progress.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14095

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Richard, I remember the typhoon as the wildest ride I'd ever had. I had to do some work in forward reefer and it was horrible in the bow area. One minute I weighed a ton and the next I was weightless. I didn't get sick though. I was lucky I guess. I also remember enjoying Hakodate. I remember we were told we were the first American warship to enter that port in over 10 years. I thought the people were very nice. I felt it was more like old Japan. I find in reading people's comments that most of us seem to remember the same things. I guess certain things had quite an impact on all of us.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14098

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Guys---I think that the 35yrs has caught up with me. Typhoon that I am talking about, along with our trip to Hakodate, would have to have been in 65 because I was off of the ship as soon as we got back (Dec 65?) cause I was on YFU's in Nam the next time I saw you guys go steaming by! We were just above HUE (Perfume River) when you all came by steaming south.
I remember this because the 1st class QM that I worked for(Last name was Lepak) was really unhappy that He had to come back off leave to handle an inspection,I know that we did not part company on the best of terms.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14099

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Had to have been in 65, because I came on board on 3 July 66. We left for WesPac on 5 July...We never went to Hakodate...
We went south of a typhoon in 67 or 68 in transit from Midway to Guam.

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14100

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think you guys might be right about it being in 65. I got on in 65 during the first cruise, and stayed on until after the 66 cruise. Everything kind of rushes together into one big jumble of memories. When you mentioned the name Lepak, I remember his name but not much more than that. I don't remember what you said he did, but who was the guy who always handed us our pay? Also, I am thinking of some names that I just began thinking about since we all started reminiscing. How about the names of Tom Swift, Joe Pacoro, Mike Laughlin and a guy named Murhpy. (I think he was from Massachusettes or somewhere like that)

Time to create page: 0.355 seconds