Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14078

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone remember the typhoon we went through in 1966 while in Wespac. I think it was called Typhoon Estes, or at least that's what my 35 year memory told me it was called. I remember walking on walls, and having the ladder drop out from under our feet. I also remember sewing some of you guys up afterwards. Remember all of the dead fish stuck against the ship. Tell me that I haven't imagined this storm all of these years. I do remember having one of the few windows aboard ship in sickbay, and looking at the waves that were as high as the bridge. Scary!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14080

• jim brown
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes, I remember that storm. I remember how the ship felt like it was going to come apart everytime we crashed down into a wave. The whole ship would just vibrate. After that one you knew the ship could handle anything.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14082

• leathers
Boy, do I remember that one. I was a SN at the time, had been on board a short while, and had cleaning detail in the aft head. I never saw so much puke in my life. You guys would pull up the stopper in the sinks, throw up, then leave it there. By the time I got to it, it was usually dried. What a mess. Couldn't keep the garbage can tied down either, and that thing would be sliding back and forth across the head. Had to hold on with one hand, scrub with the other, and dodge the can. Never forget that.

Jim

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14083

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I remember that Estabrook had told me to lash sickbay down for bad weather. I tied everything down. We had a rack on the wall that we kept bottles of pills and syrups, etc. and it had a bar that snapped into place that was supposed to secure the stuff. At the end of the storm, I spent a couple of weeks cleaning the three or four inces of syrup with hundreds of different kind of pills going back and forth on the floor mixed with broken glass. It was a real mess, and the ole girl got us through it safely. Let's hope that we can be there for her.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14090

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yeah that was quite a trip, had to admire the russians that we were shadowing though as the even did a short refuel in the middle of all of that. seemed like we only had cold chow for two weeks. It was quite spetaclar wathing the ship come down on those waves from the bridge. Hang on every min.
Ken

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14092

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Ken,
You reminded me of all sorts of things. Was it when we were playing with the Russians that we ran into the typhoon. I somehow remember that we went to that very unfriendly Japanese city called Hakodate. I remember that they warned us to be off the streets at a certain time because they were going to have anti-American rally. Of course, be being 19 or 20 years old, I was in a restaurant hiding behind the blinds so that they wouldn't see us. I can't remember who I was with, so if any of you guys remember this too, please let me know.
Somehow, I think I am getting some memories all jumbled up. I somehow think it was warm when we were playing with the Russians, but I also remember when we were all issued foul weather gear while we were up there.
Either way, it was a hell of an exciting way for a kid to spend an afternoon. Thanks Ken, for reminding me of this stuff, but if you can help me straighten out my memories, that would be cool too.

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds