Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 4 months ago #14712

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Pat, Remember when there was a leak and fuel had contaminated a freshwater tank? The access plate was in the IC Room. We were in Japan and they had women yard workers going in to clean the tank. We would gather around while they changed clothes. They weren't modest and of course we didn't mind looking.

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 4 months ago #14713

• chassny03
I wonder whatever happened to E G Jones...Quite a character; he used to take the mike away from the singer in the Crow s Nest and do his own show, sing country music. Sometimes it was better than the paid entertainment.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 4 months ago #14714

• dcreed
Wes,
Unless my memory is completely gone, my rememberance of the female yard workers in Japan is that they were pretty grim. But on the other hand after that many days at sea, the only required qualification was female.

Don Reed
MM2 6/66-11/68

Edited by - dcreed on 05/09/2001 08:06:57

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 4 months ago #14715

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
They weren't all bad!!

Wes

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 4 months ago #14716

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Was Jones the fiddler?

I remember some fine Cochrane live music at a ship's luau in 66 or 67 by some of the snipes. Fiddle and mandolin? (One of those moments I didn't appreciate at the time that has come back to me late in life for no known reason.)

Was probably too boozed to enjoy the moment. Was a nice party as I recall with the Whole Pig Roast and poi.

Sure remember Tisdale's shitkicker MUZAK, and all the arguments we had over the merits of C&W vs. R&R. I was in the C&W camp, then, but don't listen much now.

Were some fine shitkicker bars in the Westpac ports. Too many to hit all of them, I expect. Still can hear Buck Owens holding forth in high gear with "Together Again" over the jukebox with all the smoke and smell of beer and fried rice.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 4 months ago #14717

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ok, Now you guys did it!!! For two VERY long years I had to listen to shitkicker, and I want you to know, I HATED IT!!!

Whenever I hear Jim Reeves, I think about how someone in IC played him 24 hours a day, or so it seemed. I was from up north then, but seeing as how I've lived in Atlanta for 27 years, I don't even hear it anymore. I guess I've been Southernized and Southern Fried.

Edited by - Richard Cooper on 05/09/2001 18:21:11

Time to create page: 0.356 seconds