Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14101

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I think it was in 65 when we went to Hakodate. Was it 65 or 66 when we were sailing off Russia? I remember seeing thier planes flying overhead. For the times that seemed like quite an adventure. Russia was quite a threat at the time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14102

• dcreed
I am pretty sure that it was '66 when we did the opps off Russia. I've got some pictures somewhere of the Russian over flights. I'll try and see if I can find them. I dated and wrote a short discription on most of them

Don Reed MM2 6/66-11/68

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14103

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The closest that we got to Russia on the 65 cruise was tailing the russian DLG.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14107

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The big typhoon was most definately on the '66 west pac cruise...only one I was on. We took 51 degree rolls...57 and we would of went over and that is when we were in the Sea of Japan..first US ship since Korean war to be there and the Russians kept us constantly at GQ. WE were spying and they were practicing

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14115

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Might have been a typhoon in 66 but i was off the ship and in Nam before you guys made that trip. I got out in march of 67, and was only in country for a year.

Typhoon in 1966 while on station. 23 years 7 months ago #14146

• jim brown
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I thought that Typhoon was in 66 also. I also remember Hakodate as being extremely friendly. Two school girls and thier 22 year old teacher introduced themselves to me and took me on a tour of the city. Also I remember being in a taxi with BM1 McCoy when that anti american demonstration was going past in front of us. Mc Coy jumped out of the taxi and was screaming to get thier Jap F---in asses out of the way. I thought for sure we were going to get killed but to my surprise they moved out of the way.
I remember being alongside that Russian ship for what seemed like a long time. Guys from our ship were giving them the finger and they thought we were waving so they waved back

Time to create page: 0.347 seconds