Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Subic 23 years 7 months ago #14176

• Al Koblinski
  • Thank you received: 0
I get back to the Philippines fairly often and a couple of years ago I had the chance to go to Subic. What a change! After the Mt. Pinatubo eruption in 89 that pretty well covered the place in 6 ft of ash and when the Navy left, they really cleaned the place up. Olongapo is a pretty nice town with few of the old diversions and the bay itself is beautiful (Thought I would never be able to say that!). There is a nice beach just next to the old Cubi Point runway and the water is crystal clear with all kinds of (desireable) marine life near the beach. Still a lot of signs of our visits in the faces of the locals now. The base has been converted into a light industrial zone. Acer builds computers there and FED EX has an Asian hub at the "Subic International Airport". Next to the airport in what was part of the base, stands the last great old growth rain forest in the Phils.
You can still have a good time there but now your whites stay white!

"Ski" ETN2 (June 66 to Aug 68)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Subic 23 years 7 months ago #14181

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I watched a movie last week called Goodbye America. It was supposedly about the last 8 days before America left Subic Bay. I couldn't believe it was the same place! Magsaysay Drive was paved and everything looked clean. I watched the credits at the end to make sure it was actually filmed in Olongapo.

Subic 23 years 6 months ago #14185

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I remember the first time I visited there, wasnt off the ship 1/2 hr before the Kids had ripped me off for my wallet and lighter! Did a lot of growing up there.

Subic 23 years 6 months ago #14196

• Paul Anuschat
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
A Formal Hello to you Al, to Richard, to Leathers and others....

I do remember Ken Keeler, some others of my era.

Ahhhh, do I remember Subic!. A post- adolescent's Disneyland! For some rason I never got in trouble in the Philippines, yet was aware of the kinds of ptifalls all around. Remember seeing a sailor coming back thru the gate from Olongop with no shirt, no shoes, no hat, filthy dirty, in pants that had the pockets neatly cut out and gone. Rember dining at the EM club on steak and lobster that cost a pittance.
You are lucky to have gotten back there. I got back to Japan to attend school at Waseda Univ., Tokyo, in '69-'70, but have never returned since.
Of course, I never have been back to Hawaii, either, although I am just lately beginning to think about it. For years, the idea of Hotel Street, Waikiki and memories of dozens of misspent hangovers has been too vivid.

Subic 23 years 6 months ago #14198

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Was just in Hawaii last year , went out to the Memorial and kicked around a little. The whole island has changed. Now caters to the Japanese tourists.
They have built a bridge out to Ford Island and many other changes.
All and All would have to say that i didn't hardly recognize the place.

Subic 23 years 6 months ago #14212

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Paul,
I don't know if you remember who I am. I didn't work with any of you guys. I was one of the corpsmen aboard. I guess if I worked on you after a visit to Subic, we wouldn't want to mention it here.
I remember the first time I went to Subic. I had just reported aboard Cochrane a couple of days before. I was highlined from an ammo ship, Uss Pyro. I really didn't know anyone aboard yet, so just explored Olongapo by my self. I went down toward the end of the strip (where we weren't supposed to go beyond) and met some Cochrane guys. I got kind of drunk and started walking back. I flagged a Jeepney (sp) to take me back. He stopped a long way from the base. I got pissed off, and said that I'm not paying this guy if he is just going to stop. I got out and didn't pay him. It wasn't till later that I realized that he couldn't cross over the bridge, and that I should feel very lucky to still be in one piece.
I remember throwing coins off the bridge at kids. I remember some kid asking me if I wanted my shoes shined, and when I told him no, he shined my whites instead. I think losing the base is a good thing for those people, because they have to make it in other ways. Al describes a Subic that seems much improved.
I want to tell you guys how happy I am to hear from you all again. I don't even know how many of you even remember who I am, but one thing is for sure. We all shared a moment in time that can never be repeated. We are all better for this time.

Time to create page: 0.484 seconds