Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Subic 23 years 4 months ago #14700

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes it is hard to believe a lot of what happened as it was all so long ago. My dad was in the Phillipines during WWII and warned me to watch out who I was with over there. Said it might be my sister.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Subic 23 years 4 months ago #14710

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
My first wespac, the night we pulled into Subic, I had duty.It was over at that God forsaken place calld Boton Bulkhead, and we were like the 4th tin can outside the tender. (Sorry- dont remember the tender's name... those damn short term memmory problems again...)Im lugging 2 big bags of trash over my shoulders, crossing all those ships, gettin yelled at by guys on that tender for going the wrong path crossing her, then finally got down to terra firma, to find NO lights at all on this fine docking facility.Im wandering around in the dark, armed with my aforementioned bags of trash, and finally locate the dumpster. I took my first bag, gave it a mighty heave as polished during my shot putting days in school, and as the bag crashed down into the dumpster, there was a mighty chorus of angry sounding gibberish bellowed up from inside the dumpster... I had to investigate! I climbed up the side, to see about a dozen fillipinos armed with flashlights,(mil-spec, of course...) industriously digging thru the rank assed garbage, looking for whatever!And I had droped a veritable 100 lb frag bomb on a couple of them! Then a couple of them apeared at my side, and began a tug of war over my other bag-- I said to myself.. DAMN! I really am in the third world now! Welcome to Subic!

SIGNATURE? Sounds too much like computrrese for my comprehension!

Subic 23 years 4 months ago #14775

• schlog
Hey , has anyone been back to Subic since the Navy's been kicked out ? i haven't and was just curious to hear what it's like now .

Subic 23 years 4 months ago #14794

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Al Koblinski has been back several times and even has shared some pic's. you wouldn't know the place

Ken Keeler QM2 63-65

Subic 23 years 3 months ago #14838

• Al Koblinski
schlog should read the first entry on the forum for "subic".

Actually, it's pretty nice now.

I get back to the area every couple of years. Subic looks a lot better than Ft. Allen, Puerto Rico where I finished my tour in the Nav. That place is a low security prison now and has really gone to seed after the Navy closed it in the early 70's.

"Ski" ETN2 (June 66 to Aug 68)

Subic 23 years 3 months ago #14839

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Pat, we got CD's at the reunion showing Subic. You really wouldn't recognize the place. I'm really glad too, because those people all deserved better than what we gave them, and imagine trying to raise a family in Olongapo. I guess at this stage of my life, I will only blame my insensitivity at the time on youth. Youth is sure wasted on a lot of young people, isn't it?

Time to create page: 0.274 seconds