Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15554

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
In case youre still wonderting how we found this org., I learned of the web site from a column in the Dallas Morning Snooze, about a month prior to Cochranes arival in that garden spot of America, lovely SOUTH Texas.And I can thank Cannon Cocker extraordinare, Neptunus Rex of Mount 51, Sal Cedillo, as he submited the info to the paper. Shame we couldnt have taken Mount 51... woulda been fun down on the farm! Yall be good!

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79,"The Cow Killer"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 6 months ago #15560

• thomas mills
I had the pleasure of learning of the Cochrane site John and so many have worked so hard on for a data channel for all to see and have a good laugh. I was told of it by another Lockheed guy on Cochrane in the early 70's. Yesterday was my last day before retiring after 32+ years at Lockheed; Started Lockheed 4 days after leaving Cochrane in December of 1969, and it is a pleasure to read of you all during a Lifetime process change for my family! It was a pleasure to serve
with you all on a great ship, and its alot of fun to hear of you
now.

tom mills/QM2 66>>>>>>>>69

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 5 months ago #15564

• RTS39
GREETINGS ALL;
Funny thing on finding this site, the ol' lady and I were talking about turbines late one afternoon (god only knows why) and I was saying in my arrogant ass way how I knew alot about turbines being on board a ship that the power plant was 1275 psi superheated steam and seeing as how I worked in the #1 engineroom aboard this vessel that I was somewhat of an expert on the matter of turbines. Well come to find out she wanted to know about gas turbines and I didn't know they even made such a device, and told her so too, seeing as how I was such an expert on the topic. Later that night after checking my e-mails I decided to go to a navy site figureing if there was any such device they sure would know and low and behold nearly all the ships have either changed to and now all are being built with these gas turbines, I was amazed and had to eat a lot of crow. While trying to figure a good way out I ran across hull numbers to all the ships and started checking them out and sure enough there it was and it directed me to the site. I was so excited that I had forgotten all about the crow I was about to eat. To bad they had to scrap her but I remember thinking that the ship and I were the same age and she looked kind of rough for only being 17 years old but what did I know I was just a baby trying to act lick a man. Now I'm just a man acting like a baby. Thanks for the site guys I am proud to be back aboard. RUSSELL SEAMAN P.S. Hope I don't screw up as bad this time as I did the last time. BYE

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 5 months ago #15566

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Today, a friend of mine that I teach with told me that some guy he served in Vietnam with (Army) had heard about Cochrane. I have no idea what he had heard or why he heard anything about it. He asked if Cochrane had ever tied up anywere in Vietnam. I know that while I was aboard (65-67) we had not. Can any of you guys tell me if she was ever tied up to anywere in Vietnam during the later years.

Again, I have no idea who this guy is or what he heard of Cochrane, but I would like to let my friend pass on some straight stuff to him.

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 5 months ago #15570

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
If you consider going into the harbor at Da Nang 'tying up', then we did it. If my feeble memory serves me correctly, we were at GQ, or something there abouts because the VC were shelling Monkey Mountain. I remember it being amusing, because there were marines water skiing circles around the ship. Don't know if it was 66 or 67.

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

How did you locate the USS Cochrane Association? 22 years 5 months ago #15571

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
...what an odd little war...

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds