Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 23 years 1 week ago #15187

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
My wife just heard on CNN that a ship drove into the bridge connecting South Padre Island to the mainland, and that some cars went off. With all of the other news, it's hard to keep up with what ever is going on anywhere else in the world.

I don't have Barry and Cindy's e-mail address. Ken or anyone else who had the pleasure of meeting them, could you please check to see if they're ok. Let them know that we are all thinking about them, and that if any of us can be of assistance to please call.

I think we all know what they did for us, and I would like to help them in any way.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 23 years 1 week ago #15188

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Ya Beat me to the draw thar pardner! I was gonna mention this item for the benefit of all us that showed up for the reunion, as we all drove/rode over that very bridge, but doc was too quick for me! Seems the tug pilot and skipper missed the turn by a couple of hundred yards, and took out one section with the barges,then the second section fell during rescue attempts. 11 cars went off into the drink before someone could put up a barricade. Its 80 feet down to the water, and not many survived the fall. God bless yet another bunch of families. Also severed phone and electric services to South Padre entirely. Amazingly, both pilot and cap'n passed thier alky and dope screens after the accident. I predict yet another company is fixin to declare bankruptcy to get out of paying for thier huge damages bills and aleviate themselves from settling with all the families of those killed in thier "couple of hundred yard error".

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79,"The Cow Killer"

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 23 years 5 days ago #15190

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I found Barry Chamber's e-mail address. It is
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I think he did a lot for us when
we all wanted to see the Cochrane. Unless we paid him lip service when we were down there, we really ought to send him something to let him know that we are concerned about him, and not that we used him to get on the Cochrane. In case you still didn't hear about it, a bridge was hit by a ship and according to Mark, 11 cars fell 80 feet into the sea.

Now, it is terrible regardless who it is, but I think if it would be at least a good notion to let Barry and his wife know that we are thinking about them. I have already written them, and leave it up to the rest of you who found him to be a very good guy, and allowed us to visit Cochrane when the Navy said no.

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 23 years 5 days ago #15192

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Sorry, but that e-mail to Barry came back. Ken, do you have another address that might work?

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 23 years 2 days ago #15197

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Doc Cooper, and all other interested parties- I just reciently misplaced his card, but as I recall, it was Internationalshipbreaking.com I may be totaly wrong here, but I was suceddful at getting 2 e-mails thru to him... I just wish I could remember for sure. Oh heck, I will just call him up monday morning, and ask him for the benefit of us all. Here locally in the great state of Tejas, this has been in the news a surprising amount, given the gravity of the other horrors we are experiencing...but as of yesterday, yet another span of the bridge fell, making 3 sections that are now gone. May the Lord have mercy on the families of these poor folks, and thier terrifying deaths. I am just amazed the pilot and tug cap passed thier alcohol and drug screen. Take care, all!

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79,"The Cow Killer"

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 23 years 2 days ago #15198

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Doc Cooper, and all other interested parties- I just reciently misplaced his card, but as I recall, it was Internationalshipbreaking.com I may be totaly wrong here, but I was suceddful at getting 2 e-mails thru to him... I just wish I could remember for sure. Oh heck, I will just call him up monday morning, and ask him for the benefit of us all. Here locally in the great state of Tejas, this has been in the news a surprising amount, given the gravity of the other horrors we are experiencing...but as of yesterday, yet another span of the bridge fell, making 3 sections that are now gone. May the Lord have mercy on the families of these poor folks, and thier terrifying deaths. I am just amazed the pilot and tug cap passed thier alcohol and drug screen. Take care, all!

Time to create page: 0.320 seconds