Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 22 years 11 months ago #15213

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Sal,
Thanks very much for your fantastic detective work. I tried to print that picture out as clearly as I could, and couldn't find my magnifying glass. I was hoping to get a better view of his name tag. If my old eyes served me well, and if my memory serves me also, I think his name tag says Hector. Now I must ask you, my amigo, is Hector as common in Spanish language as John and James are in English?
I'm thinking we won't really know for sure until Barry contacts us.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 22 years 11 months ago #15214

• dcreed
Stop straining your eyes. I just looked at the 'full size' version of the photo. Hector's name patch says HECTOR. No last name given.

Don Reed
MM2 6/66-11/68

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 22 years 11 months ago #15215

• Sal Cedillo
God Bless America, Stand behind Her and Guide Her!!

Hey Gents,

I was working the over-night shift and happened to come across a Dallas Morning News article listing one of the latest identified victims of the Isabella Bridge collaspe as Barry Welch, age 53 and wife Chelsea Welch, age 23. I know Barry the ship wrecker could be 53, but don't see as his wife could be 23. Someone please tell me that Welch was not the last name of our friend and then maybe I can stop with all the detective work and go hunt some terrorists.

Best Personal Regards,
GMG Sal Cedillo 83-85

quote]
Stop straining your eyes. I just looked at the 'full size' version of the photo. Hector's name patch says HECTOR. No last name given.

Don Reed
MM2 6/66-11/68
[/quote]

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 22 years 11 months ago #15216

• Sal Cedillo
Please disregard my last post. If I was any kind of real detective I would have read on the previous page that Barry's last name is Chambers. It's early in the morning and I just put in 14hrs at the mill. GMG Sal

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 22 years 11 months ago #15219

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I don't know these people, but telling how helpful they were in getting around the navy may not be such a good idea. I'd hate to think the wrong person could read these posts and maybe get someone fired just because they were being nice.

Wes

Shipping accident at South Padre Island 22 years 11 months ago #15220

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think you're right Wes, except that they didn't get us around the Navy. The Navy guy was there when we got there, and we did it all by the book including paying $1.00 for the stuff we took. All was according to Hoyle, and they cannot fire anyone for doing anything wrong at all because nothing was done improperly. They were an enormous amount of help to us, and you can't be fired for doing that. It was stuff like helping us around when it was all dark, lending us lights, etc. for those who didn't have one, in general, being very good to us and understanding that we were saying goodbye to a friend. I think they understood, and I hope they are all ok with the bridge. The Navy guy was there with us the entire time we were aboard, including the service on the fantail. We did nothing wrong, and neither did the guys working there.

Edited by - Richard Cooper on 09/28/2001 15:23:03

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds