Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 4 months ago #15673

• EJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Ed,

Have you told the Admiral about this website and the reunion? I haven't seen him since he visited the Aegis Combat System Center in the late '80s.

David Melges, LCDR (Retired)

I have not told him yet but I will the next time I see him. By the way Dan, he looks exactly the same as the last time you saw him.
Ed Comes, FCCM(SW) Ret.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 3 months ago #15675

• EJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
shipmates..I briefly spoke to ADM. Kihune today in between his flights. He is now aware of the website and says he will check it out. He was also interested in the reunion dates and the renaming of another ship as the USS Cochrane. I hope he signs on with us and we hear from him when he gets a chance to correspond.
Ed Comes FCCM(SW) Ret.
1971-1974 FTG1

Edited by - ej on 05/28/2002 19:28:53

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 3 months ago #15676

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Great work. I am most interested in renaming the Cochrane. Any help we can get from him would be great. I think that while another Cochrane would not be the one we sailed on, it would be great to see. Admiral Cochrane did a lot to win WW2. He was in charge of navy ship building during the war following Pearl Harbor. He rebuilt our navy that won the war. If he doesn't deserve to have a ship named after him, nobody else does either. I am very serious about this and if the Admiral can help, I would be a very happy man. In my opinion, the greatest reunion would be on the skid in a shipyard as we watch a brand new destroyer with Cochrane on the back and all of us looking on.

Richard Cooper
HM3 65-67

Edited by - Richard Cooper on 05/30/2002 02:46:14

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 21 years 7 months ago #15772

• stewtek@msn.com
The USS Cochrane DDG-21 lives in us. I'm hurt for her disappearing.

I often see and talk with Mack Gaston, Rear Adm. Ret. A Great Gentleman and Navy Warrior.

Again, I just became a member of this Forum, last night and I will do what I can to pass the word. I work here in Arlington (Crystal City), Virginia. Again, I live only about 20 miles outside from Washington, DC in Northern Virginia. I have came in contact with a lot of people here, through various military organizations. Also, my Under Secretary of Commerce is a former Congressman from California here at USPTO.

More later.

Charles "Stew" Stewart EM3/E-Div. 76-78
EM1(SW/AW) Retired

Charles W. Stewart, Jr.

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 21 years 6 months ago #15798

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Coop,
I am glad that you have kept up with this stuff and will help in any way that I can

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 21 years 6 months ago #15799

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think getting the word out to as many important people as possible is how we will get this done. I think the Navy is kind of busy right now planning a war to think about naming ships. I will write our new senator, but he's a Junior senator and Max Cleland wasn't able to help I'm not sure how this guy can. I think we will need people in high places who love our ship as we did to do anything.

Thanks Ken, and thanks to anyone else who can help with this endeavor. I dream that as some of us got to see the old Cochrane for the last time, we will be able to see the new one together, too. What do you guys think might work?[:p]

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds