Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 7 months ago #15447

• thomas mills
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear Freind and an AIRDALE was thru Brownsville this past week (next to last week of January) on family business. I had asked him to run by $$$#@@**&!!!! scrappers and see if Ship was gone, and he said he asked at Main Gate and Guard called someone and Cochrane ALL GONE.

He told me most all of the U.S. ship scrap does not even stay in the United States but goes to Mexico and 3rd world nations.....Tim said
looked like to him there were DLG's and Cargo stuff there now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 7 months ago #15449

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Actually, I'm not at all surprised and was expecting that by now she would only be a memory. I do think I would have rather not heard it though. Hope springs eternal!!

I really do thank you for telling us though, because we can't hide from the fact that our ship is dead. I really would like to get another ship renamed "Cochrane" but don't seem to get many interested. Any takers????????

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 7 months ago #15450

• thomas mills
I for one think that it would be great to see a 2nd Cochrane
and if one is already in the works, lets as a group take on a
friendly Congress Person to push it. I am retiring after working 32 years as a Manager, etc., (love that title in our paperwork, ETC., and would make a wild business card)in a large Aero Space firm. I can tell you that if you get a Congress Person support as a group, get it on the Congressional Record, it parts the Sea Like Mosses. We used to have "Newt" here in Ga-Ga, but his love life caused him troubles; going in next 6 months to Northern Nevada and have no knowledge of Reps there??? Suggest the Cochrane Association select a Congress person and take this on???? Many a airplane has been named for what a Congress person pushed, and for years folks
have called one of the fastest planes in the World the SR71, when in
fact it really was the RS71, but Lyndon Johnson announced it incorrectly,and who would tell a president he just had an ERON?

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 7 months ago #15453

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I am from Georgia too, and have hit up both senators and my rep. At least Max Cleland and Zell Miller both wrote to the Navy Dept on our behalf. Rep. John Linder never even responded to me. He is a very sorry excuse for a congressman, and it is really my hope he is voted out this year.

The Navy send me a form letter advising me that there are more names for ships than ships under planning. Kind of shot us out of the water. I think that I would very much like to revisit this with them, but that perhaps they are busy with the war right now and would not have time to deal with this issue. Let me know what you think.

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 7 months ago #15459

• wilsonle
The Naval Vessel Register lists the Cochrane's last date as an official entity as 9/19/01. The date the Navy Officially confirmed her dismantled. www.nvr.navy.mil/nvrships/details/DDG21.htm

Ships Historian

FTG1(SW)DDG-21 80-84 / FC1(SW) NRFF-1091 USS Miller 85-87
Major, Field Artillery, 32D Army Air and Missile Defense Command

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 7 months ago #15473

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
My experience with the hallowed halls of our esteemed representatives landed on the esteemed Phil Graham's desk, but he doesnt give a shit about the millitary, only graft from ther public traugh- he and his wife now have been found to be eyebrow deep in the ENRON cesspool,and had "sorrowfully" announced his retirement This fine piece of feces, Mr Graham that is, stated in an interview in the Dallas Morning news prior to the last election "that he did not serve in the armed forces, because it was much more important for him to get his Law School degrees, and get his practice going, so he could get in the political system as fast as possible" But because he is the devout foaming at the mouth "CONSERVATIVE Repub", he always got shoed in anyhow. It amazed me that Vets groups would back this snake when he clearly stated he was better than us by being too important to serve in the millitary himself. In short, hes no better than Coop's rep. Perhaps his replacement will be a bit more open to our requests for a renaming of another Cochrane.

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds