Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 5 months ago #15609

• Bill Velto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Another Great contact would be Rear Admiral Mack C. Gaston Commanding officer on board the Cochrane 1978-1980. He went on to become C.O. of NTC Great Lakes. He can be found after a little effort on the net working in Washington D.C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 4 months ago #15653

• tag
  • Thank you received: 0
I don't know gentlemen I believe ( I wish she was a museum some
where)she went out respectable ashes to ashes dust to dust. I don't
think another ship will do me any good. It would be like growing
up with a major league team and they move and then another team
comes to town,just wouldn't be the same.I like the fact one Cochrane one me along with a number of other select sailors who were lucky
enough to serve on her.
That being said I will do what I can to help have another ship
named after her again. Maybe I'll see it different then.

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 4 months ago #15659

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I really do understand where you're coming from on that, but I think I would feel ok with another ship with Cochrane on it. I think for one thing, Admiral Cochrane did enough during WW2 to deserve this. I also think that if the bell or some other atrifact still exists would go on the new ship, we can feel that we are going with her too.

I think we can all say we loved the Cochrane. She saw us through foul weather and fair. She saw us through combat, and brought us all home safely. I would never think that we could ever replace the old girl, but we can keep her memory alive in generations of sailors, some of whom aren't even born yet. I just think that if we could stand and watch another Cochrane going to sea, we can feel that all of us are with her. I think in looking at the Stoddart sight, there have been a few Stoddarts. Why not the Cochrane????

Richard Cooper
HM3 65-67

Edited by - richard Cooper on 05/05/2002 10:22:20

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 4 months ago #15668

• Michael Gray
Hey Coop, I totally agree with you about having another Cochrane. There are so many of us that served aboard her, and called her home during our time there. Me for one, I feel that I went from a boy to a man onboard her. I mean, I was only 18 when I checked onboard her. A little scared at first, being my first time away from home for any length of time. But when I think back to all the fond memories and the great friends that I made, realize that I had nothing to fear. It would be so great to have another ship named Cochrane. If nothing else
then to help bring back the great memories of our Cochrane, whenever we heard her name mentioned. I for one will to what I can for the effort.

HTC Mike Gray USN Ret.
HT3 U.S.S. Cochrane 1977-1979

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 4 months ago #15671

• EJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Adm Kihune works out of the same building complex I do although he travels alot and I see my old skipper about once every two weeks or so. We find the time to shoot the bull for a few minutes and he is a hell of a nice guy. I will bring up the subject of getting another ship named cochrane and request his help the next time I see him and report back what he says. I will mention the website to him, I'm sure he will check it out.
E. J. Comes FCCM(SW) Ret.
FTG1 "71-74"

Edited by - ej on 05/22/2002 16:35:03

ALL OF COCHRANE MIGHT BE GONE??? 22 years 4 months ago #15672

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Ed,

Have you told the Admiral about this website and the reunion? I haven't seen him since he visited the Aegis Combat System Center in the late '80s.

David Melges, LCDR (Retired)

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds