Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A moment of reflection for them in Brownsville 23 years 6 months ago #14457

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Jim,

I found five reels of tape that relate to the Cochrane...have not had time to listen to much more than one gunfire mission up around the DMZ working with a spotter 'Guidon 26 Bravo'..also found the passage where one of the spotters sez ' you fat fu..er' and immediately an officer replies with "Hey, let's watch that radio procedure soldier"

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A moment of reflection for them in Brownsville 23 years 6 months ago #14458

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
New thought....
I know that there is a Coast Guard Station on the tip of south padre island.

1. Maybe we could borrow a boatswain mate to do the piping...thinking we could end the ceremony with a pipe and "Cochrane Departing" Ding.....Ding....

2. The station is within throwing distance of the channel, I think. Maybe we could request them to dip their flag to her as she passes. I don't know the protocol, as ships always dip to a man of war, but since she is no longer commissioned, is she still a man of war, and is there a precedent for a shore station to dip to a man of war. Anyone remember if the station at Pearl dipped when we passed? Where are all the darn Signalmen when you need them?

3. Someone needs to tape the ceremony...

4. Will try to get a short wav file off to John..

5. Thank you for your thoughts of my mom. It's not going good at all....I think it's now a question of when, not if... We are praying that the Lord will make a decision that we don't want to have to make..

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

A moment of reflection for them in Brownsville 23 years 6 months ago #14459

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Horace,
Because she is out of commission it is not done. (dipping the Flag)
Your mom and your family are in our thoughts.

Ken Keeler QM2 63-65

A moment of reflection for them in Brownsville 23 years 6 months ago #14463

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
***FLASH***
Before you go to the pain of editing in the 21 Gun Salute, I will point out one fact. The 21 shot volley is played before Taps, not over it. Taps is always the last item on the military funeral agenda..except when you present the next of kin a flag which of course, we aren't doing.
The entire ceremony is about 4-5 minutes long. I will need a Chaplin, a Sgt. at Arms, a boom box that plays cassettes ( my copy of Taps is on the antique cassette not a CD) and some roses. Everything is spelled out and I will direct who has to do what and when. We can reherse this if you like. I have done numerous funerals and like all of them, I'm Not looking forward to this one either but I will be proud to do it. The trick is to keep me from crying.....Doty

Dave Doty ETR3 65-67

A.K.A. "Minnow"
(941) 693-3689

A moment of reflection for them in Brownsville 23 years 6 months ago #14464

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
For the service, The Chaplain will read the names of the deceased 1 at a time, the Sgt. at Arms will toss a rose after each name, or at least a petal, overboard for each name...I also think that we should include V. Adm. Edward Lull Cochrane with the list...if he's deceased. There will also be a period of time for anyone who wants to say a few words about our deceased to do so. I will go over all of this before hand so we don't blow it! Ask me when I get there of a couple of services that were Really blown...but we still made them cry!

Dave Doty ETR3 65-67

A.K.A. "Minnow"
(941) 693-3689

A moment of reflection for them in Brownsville 23 years 6 months ago #14465

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Dave,
I would be willing to do anything you ask me to do in this. I would love to have a part in it. Just let me know.

Time to create page: 0.317 seconds