Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Deployed Shipmates 22 years 10 months ago #15285

• wilsonle
  • Thank you received: 0
John,

I got your email, and the newsletter as converted looks fine. The job here isn't so bad, its just that discipline in the Army appears to be a little erratic on this post.

Also, my unit was all keyed up to deploy. We are all kind of diappointed to be away from home, and stuck just doing dredge work for the post. We would all be a lot happier if we where overseas doing our jobs.

Believe it or not my National Guard soldiers are smarter, better disciplined, and generally just better troops than the average Active Duty soldier on this post.

Do we know of anyone else deployed other that Steve or I? Or where they went.

Thanks for publsihing the 83/84 cruise book.

FTG1(SW)DDG-21 80-84 / FC1(SW) NRFF-1091 USS Miller 85-87
Major, 32D AAMDC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Deployed Shipmates 22 years 10 months ago #15290

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I teach with a guy who got deployed. He wrote this long letter to the staff which sounded like a combination of McArthur's "Old Soldiers never die" speech and George Washington's farewell to his troops. He was an American soldier who would die for his country if called on. I read this speech of his and thought that it really meant "I want everyone to think I'm a hero" speech.

As it turned out, he was deployed about 20 miles away, and sleeps at home everyday. I think he is too embarrassed to tell anyone.

When I got off active duty with the Navy, I went into the Air Force Reserve as a Med. Tech. I found that I had forgotten more medical stuff I learned in the Navy than they had ever learned. Now I think Horace might not believe this, but it's true. Guys, the Navy really did train us better than the other branches. I know this to be true.

Hang in there, Larry. The war won't go on forever. Did you take the place of others who were sent overseas. They are probably happier where they are than where you are.

Deployed Shipmates 22 years 10 months ago #15305

• wilsonle
Hi Guys,

Latest from Fort Bliss, our General (BG Davis - 1 Star good guy) got us a C130 to take us back to Florida for 1 week. We where supposed to spend 3 days working at Florida Army National Guard units helping them get ready for inspections, and then spend Turkey day with family and then fly back to Bliss.

However the Active duty General at this post (MG Green - 2 Star) said we had not trained to his satisfaction, and sent the C130 back to its base with our soldiers waving it goodbye (literally guys the C130 and the pilots where here on the ground). We trained all weekend and will continue till Wednesday (Doing things MG Green said we had not trained on, NBC, weapons quals, etc) but for most of my enlisted it is to late and to expensive for them to get plane tickets home due to the C130 being jerked at the last minute. Oh, and thank you very much, if he still is not happy this Wednesday he can forbid the troops who managed to get tickets to go home.

I have frequent flyer miles from my civilian job so I managed a 2 day visit home at no cost to me. But my Enlisted got screwed big time. This is Marquis Desaud (SP) school of leadership crap. I wonder why this MG couldn't of figured out we where not trained to his satisfaction months ago. This is just so wrong and so corrosive to morale it staggers my mind. I wish I was more than just another Major around here, my troops have been screwed and I am powerless to do anything about it. (Sorry Guys just had to vent)

All I can say is I hope this Jerk isn't planning a Florida vacation anytime soon after we get released from Active Duty.

FTG1(SW)DDG-21 80-84 / FC1(SW) NRFF-1091 USS Miller 85-87
Major, 32D AAMDC

Deployed Shipmates 22 years 10 months ago #15306

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ah!!! I remember active duty so well.

Deployed Shipmates 22 years 10 months ago #15307

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Larry- Thanks much for the updates, and feel free to vent on my dime anytime. Im pretty impressed, actually, that there really is an officer that gives 2-shits about us lowly enlisted folk. And as for the big boy, there is yet another butthole trying his damndest to ensure no one makes a career of the millitary. Kinda like that previously mentioned first class that cracked me in the nuts with the rope my first day aboard Cochrane, but weve already discussed this now reveared like a hero guy before... Anyway, It is just astounding how so many "Career Desigs" bend over backwards to ensure those below them will not pursue a military career. Guess it makes 'em feel like a real big shot! Bless you for caring, Larry, and Godspeed!

Marc Tuton STG3,Uss Cochrane jan 74-sept 76- "The pearl of the Pacific" STG2 USS Glover, nov 76-nov79,"The Cow Killer"

Deployed Shipmates 22 years 10 months ago #15308

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
If it is any consolation, what goes around comes around. In my life, I have seen many jerks get the well earned justice they deserve. The longer they get by with shit, the more they dish out. Eventually it comes back to many of them. I've seen quite a few of them fall over the years. We had a jerk like that get fired where I work last week. He'd been getting by with it for over 20 years. I ripped a guy a new ass at work just yesterday. He tried pulling the shit on me he's pulled on people for years. Guess what? He found someone willing to kick his ass and he backed down in a real hurry. I Know, not an option in the military. Not if you still want a career. Really not much of a option anywhere, but it is the only way to get some people's attention. Just show your guys that you aren't responsible for what is dictated to you. You will never be free of dick heads. They are in all walks of life.

Wes

Time to create page: 0.296 seconds