Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crew Members List 22 years 7 months ago #15463

• Michael Gray
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey John, just a thought here. Think it might be possible to send an e-mail message to everyone when there is a new posting to the crews listing. Just like there is for a new forum posting. Would save us the time of having to check in crews list to see if any of our old friends have made an entry. I don't know how much trouble this would be for you, seeings I'm no computer whiz. But it was just a thought that I had. Thanks!

Mike Gray HTC USN Ret. Cochrane 1977-1979

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crew Members List 22 years 7 months ago #15464

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I was thinking about something like that too, or maybe a special welcome aboard area listing the last six members or so with lhe oldest getting bumped off the list as a new one signs on. I know there have been a few times that the number of members has increased by two or three and I've tried to figure out who else signed up besides the one listed as our newest member. I know of at least one case where a shipmate was signed up as a member but was not on the crew list. Since I know him, I told him he wasn't on the crew list and explained that he had missed an area of the site. Maybe when a shipmate signs on the crew list, the information for the member area could be given at the same time so it could be accomplished all at once? I know those of us that got on this site very early understand how everything works. I wonder if a lot of the guys know how to get in the archives and read all the old postings too ? Over all John, I think you started off on the right foot with this site. You haven't had to make very many changes, and what you have changed has always been an improvement. I know I wouldn't want to tackle the job of trying to set up and maintain a web site. A lot of commercial sites, representing some big companies, don't flow as smoothly as this site.

Wes

Crew Members List 22 years 7 months ago #15465

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Just to let everyone know, the next major change to the site will likely be the integration of the crew list and the forum membership. I have done some research into this and it it easier said than done. I am not an ASP coder, I just dabble in it. Currently there are two completely seperate real time Access databases driving the site. One for the crew list and the other for the forum. In order to incorporate the two I need to change quite a bit of the forums ASP code. Not an easy task for me but I am learning. This change will not happen overnight.

As for the crew listing, I could build another page that would list everyone by the date that they signed on to the site. That shouldn't be too difficult to do. It would be similar to the "list by date reported aboard" page. That would make it easier to see who is new. Emailing when a new crew member signs up would be tough. You will just have to check periodically.

MM2 83-85
#2 Engine Room Supervisor

Crew Members List 22 years 7 months ago #15466

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Bet you never thought your "dabbling" would go this far. Quite an accomplishment.

Wes

Crew Members List 22 years 7 months ago #15471

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
John, I see you added a section to allow us to view the crew list by the sign up date. This will really help us keep track of who comes aboard. Thanks for responding so quickly to Michael and my suggestions.

Wes

Crew Members List 22 years 7 months ago #15475

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Damn you are quick Wes. I finished it up late last night and was too tired to post anything about it. I was going to inform everyone tonight. Anyway, there it is. Hope you find it usefull...It's hard to believe that the list has been building for two years now.

MM2 83-85
#2 Engine Room Supervisor

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds