• Page:

TOPIC:

Online Chat? 23 years 6 months ago #14208

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
John,
I know you are going to kill me for this one...

Maybe thru ICQ?

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Online Chat? 23 years 6 months ago #14211

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Horace.....................I am at a loss of words as to how to reply to this one.

Online Chat? 23 years 6 months ago #14246

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
OK Horace...Think I might have a simple answer for you. I do have ICQ and always get junk through it. I also have Yahoo Messenger that I only have for a couple of contacts, both Navy, one is Don Reed. I seldom use it but took a good look at it tonight. It is simple to use, and is available for most platforms, and FREE. They have a place to set up a chat room and we could make it private so the entire world wouldnt see us. I could, however, post the information so anybody visiting would be able to find us. This forum also supports Yahoo Messenger. I looked at the forum member list and there are four members listed now with Yahoo. What do you guys think? Should I look into it further? If you want go to messenger.yahoo.com/ to download.

Online Chat? 23 years 6 months ago #14250

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
John,
I pretty much stay away from Yahoo because of all the adds...ICQ seems to work fine for me, have you looked at them..guess I should upgrade my profile with my ICQ #...
If Yahoo works better, or is easier for you, then there is no question as to what to do.

What a guhru you are!!! (for a snipe)

PS...We do work for a company that has a bunch of old Boatswain Mates...Do I catch hell for being an ET... Did you ever have to get paint from the paint Locker? You got the req, signed in triplicate....then..you want a paint brush, too...where's the req? You want to return the unused paint, Where's the req? They really loved it!

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Online Chat? 23 years 6 months ago #14278

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
After looking into this one further, I do not think that ICQ or Yahoo will work for a chat room. I would want one that is incorporated into this forum any way. There are a couple that have been modified to do that but I don't think that I want to mess with it. I will keep checking on the other forums that talk about these things. There are quite a few people asking these same questions so maybe somebody will get it perfected soon. Here is a copy of one post that makes a lot of sense. It is an answer to this very question about creating a chat room.
<font color=black>
"ah... but then you would lose all the valuable data that is being shared...

better yet... go to Active Topics, and click the Dropdown to "Reload page every minute" at the upper right of the screen...

it's a very nice feature :) it gives a chatroom type effect... while still keeping all the information organized."
</font id=black>
In case no one has noticed, you can tell how many people are currently viewing the forum by looking at the footer. After USS Cochrane Discussion Forums it says # Current Viewers. This is accurate information but I can not tell WHO is online. Something to think about.

Edited by - John Freeman on 03/04/2001 15:16:28

Online Chat? 23 years 6 months ago #14280

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
John,
Some thoughts, I don't know that saving every thing in a chat room is needed. I guess that I see it as a way for people to talk. The only downside is how much good stuff would then get left off of the Forums?
Ken

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds