Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 8 months ago #16010

• jdtoney
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Brad,
I thought I answered this once a short time after your posting, but I must have blown it away when I previewed same. Thats a pretty good drive from Camarillo to Santa Barbara, I use to drive from Ventura to Point Conception (north od Santa B.) & catch a helo to the Phillips Oil Corp Offshore Rig when I was roughnecking offshore. I have an old buddy there in Camarillo (Myron Harrison, he's one of the owners of Harrison & Sons Rubbish Service of Ventura County). Although I was married then, I didn't have any problems in our home Port of P.H. but man I could sure get in trouble overseas. The ole man once ask me how I could perform in such a good manner when we were out at sea but continue to screw up on the beach in West-Pac. I enjoyed every minute of that liberty though. That was some yard period 73-74 and we made the news a few time from a group of our fellow sailors basically refusing to work, remember, 12 on 12 off 7 days a week to complete the overhaul on time and make our commitment. Yes, I'm retired but it isn't what you expect, at time I wish I was back in the good ole Navy or working somewhere. Talk at ya later,
Toney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 7 months ago #16016

• bzlomke
Jerry:
Yes, it is quite a drive from Camarillo to downtown Santa Barbara! In fact, in the news you may have heard about the landslide in La Conchita on 1/10/05. I happened to be half-way to work that morning when they closed the road in front and behind me and about 1,000 other commuters. Stranded, we got out of our cars and visited for quite a while, finally being allowed to return home. I left that morning at 6:30am and got home at 12noon. Was never able to get in to work that week at all. Ever since, with the rubbernecking and all, it is taking 90 minutes to do the 45 miles [:(]
As beautiful as it is most times to live in this area, unfortunately when we get weather, we get too much and suffer landslides, missing sections of roads, etc.

Harrison is a pretty big name where we live. They do a great job.

On the subject of getting in trouble on the beach, I can't recall the guy's name, but we had an E-6 snipe on the 2nd cruise in 1976 that went to so many captain's masts, he returned as an E-3. It was pretty tragic. So, all in all, we did pretty good [:)]

Marc, I didn't ask Crash about the cruise book. Since I can't get him to login to this website, let me see if I can raise him and ask.

It's good to hear from you, keep it coming. You know, memory beign a selective thing and all, I only remember the good ol' days. It was a great time in our lives.

Brad Zlomke

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 7 months ago #16017

• Fadamor
Hmmm, this looks like a good place to dive in...

Hail all, this is my first post here (just found the place). I can verify the presence of an infestation of cockroaches on Cochrane by 1979. They even came in and fumigated the entire ship but it didn't work. My worst "cochroach" (as we termed them) incident was waking up with one sitting on my belly. Mild, but annoying nonetheless.

My most vivid memory was reporting onboard Cochrane upon her return from the '79 SouthPac, and that evening returning from a night on the town and finding STG1 Conklin passed-out drunk in my rack in Fox Div. berthing. That was my first "meeting" with my LPO and eventual Chief.

After enduring two years of hearing, "Oh man! You missed a HELL of a cruise!", I rotated back to the states for "C" School. I never have made it to Australia, but a few years ago I vacationed in Russia (who'd a thunk it!?) and I'm now married to a Russian beauty. <i>Da svidanya!</i>

Last edit: by Fadamor.

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 7 months ago #16033

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Welcome aboard Larry.

I must comment on your division while serving in COCHRANE, I spent almost 12 years (January 1971-October 1982) of my naval career serving in COCHRANE and all of them were in Fox Division, all of the members were FTMs or FTGs until they were combined into the FC rating. I believe you were in AS division and bunked in the compartment just below the Wardroom, just above Supply and aft of Mess Cooks/Overflow (it was used for many things). I know for a fact, as long as Dick Conklin was on board he never spent any nights in our compartment below MT 52 carrier room and above 52's magazine.

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 7 months ago #16034

• Michael Gray
STG1 Conklin drunk and passed out in someone else's rack, I find that very hard to believe! Must be a different Conklin then the one I knew.
The one I knew would never do anything like that, yeah right!

EVERYBODY JUMP SHIP? 19 years 7 months ago #16037

• Rich
Hey "Bos", I think we Cranked together. I remember the God awful smell of that pesticide in the scullery, and the swarms of those damned roaches. Monsoon season, I passed out and damned near drowned face down in a parking lot on base. Supply party in the Barrio, LOTS of Bullfrog and Mojo on my "cherryboy" visit to P.I. I woke up in the hospital the next day! Oh what memories. How about the month we spent pierside in Subic, '87 I think. I think eveyone aboard was broke!

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds