Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Loss of Air Crews???? 22 years 7 months ago #15490

• thomas mills
  • Thank you received: 0
It had to be in 1968, when the 1st Division and it looks like from several pictures some GM's went out in the Whale boat to pick-up a downed Flyer. He was a Commander, flying A4's off the Big "E" (I think), Time would have been say 1600 and the A4 blew up on approach to Carrier. (Right off Port Bridgewing) Corpman Chief, MAC Mckoy did
all to save him.....Brought on Cochrane on Port side in Stokes to Asrock Deck then Helo at fantail.

I work with his brother who is Navy retired pilot........does anyone from 68 Cruise have any pictures as daughter of Downed pilot putting together a Book on Viet Nam. I think it was the same time period Hanoi Jane was in the North. Sorry was keeping ships log and never got Pilots name...will share name if someone has pictures but no sure it is right to put his name on this for all to see.
losses from carriers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Loss of Air Crews???? 22 years 7 months ago #15498

• leathers
Tom,

I'm pretty sure I have a few photo's of that attempted rescue. I'll check through my slides in the next week or two, and let you know. That was the first casualty I saw during the war, was a pretty sobering experience. Really made you realize how good it was to be alive!

I'm not sure I understand, you work with the brother of the pilot we
picked up? What are the odds of that happening?

Leathers

A Loss of Air Crews???? 22 years 7 months ago #15501

• thomas mills
Jim, The Brother is a NON-Retired Lt. Commander, and name is "RICE"
and his sister is a writer as I have been told. The brother is a
LMCOer with many of us and have to say is honest as a tree. His
comments and all seem correct it was us on Cochrane that picked up
the brother. Dates, Carrier, and he has a picture of Cochrane in his files with notes from sister....he knows brother came out by Whale Boat and was dead with us and was taken to carrier. All fits and we have done new Digital Pubs together and spent many an hour Bullshitting Planes and Palmdale.
He is right on all accords as A4's built Palmdale by Douglas, and his brother NAVgrad in late 50's, went to Jet school and
got sucked up in No-win situation about 66 to 68. Gave him Xerox's of my Qm log notes that I kept as "LEAD-IN" to what I thought could be a book. Sister sent me a Thank you note and said she and the Brother I worked with Thanked me.
The only damn thing I did not write down in my notes was the name of the carrier, but have to think it was the BIG "E" as that same time she lost was it not 30+ planes???? Hate to poke more questions at him, but he has always said for years, Cochrane and the TV show "Hawaii 5-O" were the families favorite as the Cochrane was on the show many times and it tied to his Mom and Dad.
tom/2-24-02

A Loss of Air Crews???? 22 years 6 months ago #15503

• dcreed
Tom,
I remember the incident well. I was on the fantail B.S.ing with some other snipes. Watched the plane go in and the rescue efforts. I too think that I have some pictures. I will go through my stuff this weekend. I am sure that th bird farm was the big E.

Don Reed
MM2 6/66-11/68

A Loss of Air Crews???? 22 years 6 months ago #15504

• thomas mills
Don, Thank you for the loan of any pictures, and will ensure they get back to you. My comrad in Arms at LMCO will get them to me after his sister places them in her and the editors book format. Let me
know at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. when you are ready to send them and will give you right address. We are here in GA-GA for at least 60 more days, and retiring end of March. I will be using the folks address in Las Vegas until settled either there or near Virginia City up North. I think there will be a credit line in the book for anything used and who provided it. Digging through all this stuff getting ready to move, brings back many thoughts and how hard everyone worked. At the reunion, I have to talk with some of you folks in the PLANTS as I have seen at least 50 entries by me the QM
logs as we went to Flank Speed where the OOD said when pulling away
from an UNREP "Tell Main Control NO SMOKE!!!!!"......If you remember the 91 days straight at sea from Subic to Hong Kong in 68, we Unrepped
76 times I count for fuel, ammo, highlines, food.....and Mail!
A comment that could get you into trouble in today's society is the many times Main Control called the Bridge "REQUESTING PERMISSION TO BLOW TUBES."..........Hmmmmmmmmmm!

A Loss of Air Crews???? 22 years 6 months ago #15505

• Ken Keeler
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
That was request permission to "DUMP, PUMP AND BLOW.

Ken Keeler QM2 63-65

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.284 seconds