Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

01OCT1980: The 104 Vietnamese Refugees 13 years 11 months ago #16549

• khuynhedu
  • Thank you received: 0
Does anyone remember October 1, 1980?

"On 1 October 1980 Cochrane rescued 104 Vietnamese refugees 620 miles east of Saigon"

Can anyone tell me more? I would not be the man I am today, if it wasn't for the sailors of the Cochrane. My father was one of the Vietnamese refugees that was rescued on that date. If he was never rescued, I would have never been conceived.

I would like to meet, if not at least communicate with, a sailor who served on the Cochrane that day.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: 01OCT1980: The 104 Vietnamese Refugees 13 years 10 months ago #16550

• petrest
Kevin,
    I was onboard the USS Cochrane when we picked up the Refugees. How may I help you.

You may conctact me direct if needed at

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Re: 01OCT1980: The 104 Vietnamese Refugees 13 years 10 months ago #16551

• khuynhedu
Could you please send me an email at:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I sent you one, to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. but with no luck. No reply thus far. Thank you!

Re: 01OCT1980: The 104 Vietnamese Refugees 13 years 8 months ago #16562

• kstclair
Mr. Huynh, I was a young man aboard the USS Cochrane on the cruise that you mentioned.  In the accounts that I have read it does not mention how or when we brought the people aboard.  It was not boat but three boats on three separate occasions.

There were so many people we rescued, almost a third of the ships crew, that I am sure I did not meet your father.  However, I have often wondered about their fate.  It would be nice to hear about your family.  I hope they have been well.

You can contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you wish to know more.

Best Regards,
Kraig

Re: 01OCT1980: The 104 Vietnamese Refugees 13 years 6 months ago #16571

• flyinhawaiian
Hi Kevin,
I remember Oct. 1980 like it was last year. I had a ships band formed, and we entertained the refugees for hours on end. We played music so long I had blisters on my fingers. It was an honor though...ET-3 Thom Vial ;D

Re: 01OCT1980: The 104 Vietnamese Refugees 13 years 6 months ago #16574

• Daniel.Brensinger
Dear Mr. Huynh, Speaking of October, 1980; it was on the 20th that I turned 21.  I thought that was so cool, even if I was in the middle of the Indian Ocean, because of the hull # of the Cochrane.  It was also the month that we spotted the three different fairly small boats floundering in the mid to high seas.  It was over a two-day period that all of the crafts were spotted and the occupants had to bail water just to stay afloat.  We lowered the motor whale-boat and ferried the refugees back to our ship in as many trips as was necessary.  The boats were very overcrowded and the seas had been rough on them.  All of the boats sank shortly after being cast adrift.  I’m not sure which boat your Dad was on because I don’t know for sure if I even met him.  However, I will tell you this; every single individual aboard those three boats was a very brave person.  They faced extreme ordeals and overcame terrible odds in the fight to win their freedom.  I’m very happy to hear of your gratitude because we, the crew of the Cochrane, merely did what sailors have and should always do on the open sea.  It was one of the few experiences in life where I have felt rewarded for being nothing more than human.  We tried to make things as comfortable as possible by rigging up some tarps where no on would be out in the harsh sun all day long.  And we isolated a small “head” where the women could use the toilet.  If I remember correctly, it took about 8-10 days to make it back to Singapore where we anchored in the harbor and ferries came carried the refugees ashore.  We, the entire crew, were awarded one “Humanitarian Medal” each because of the heroes’ ordeal of those refugees.  It is one of the sea-stories that I enjoy telling whenever the youngsters ask about that medal.  Thanks to your Father,  Daniel 

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.261 seconds