Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Cochrane TRIVIA 23 years 3 months ago #14950

• doty
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Wes,
He was creepy alright. He would sneak around at night when everyone's blanket was flying at half mast from having a "Good Dream". A few of us took turns on a Compartment watch but we never did catch the peter puffer. Probably a good thing as we were going to polish 21's prop with him.

Dave Doty ETR3 65-67

A.K.A. "Minnow"
(941) 693-3689

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cochrane TRIVIA 23 years 3 months ago #14951

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I didn't know you guys were trying to catch him in the act. Sounds like he was lucky he didn't get a blanket party. Still makes my skin crawl when I remember him enjoying the show at the urinal. Different strokes for different folks. Pun intended.

Wes

Cochrane TRIVIA 23 years 3 months ago #14961

• mars21
Anyone know what year it was when they installed the "coffin" type bunks? They were not actually enclosed. But it was a locker type bunk. I saw in some pics that back when the ship was new, they were the old style. What were they called back then? I remember I had a top bunk without a locker underneath. I had a normal standup locker,2 of them. Also how was the AC back when the ship was new? you guys have any? I remember back in the 1980's the laundry was always 130 degrees. And can anybody believe that the ship had ONE washer and dryer for almost 300 people. incredible.....

Sweepers sweepers man your brooms, sweep all ladderbacks and passageways now sweepers.

Cochrane TRIVIA 23 years 3 months ago #14962

• wes carroll
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I only remember us calling them racks. Yes we had air conditioning WAY BACK THEN even. That was supposedly my job but since things were still new, we didn't have much in the way of real problems that I recall. I did a lot of reinsulating work though. When the ship was built they used that clay like insulation on the chilled water lines. This was made for steam lines not chilled water lines. The lines would sweat and turned the insulation to mush. We replaced the insulation with closed cell foam and covered it with lagging cloth and compound. LOTS of exposure to asbestos. As a civilian I worked for a while in a gasket manfacturing factory and would often go home totally white with asbestos dust. That was over 30 years ago and so far I can still breathe.

Wes

Cochrane TRIVIA 23 years 3 months ago #14963

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
In the early 70's, the A/C was pretty weak in the forward compartments, from A/S compt forward.When it would conk out completely, it would be sardineland down in ssonar control, back in that "library" and shop behind the 114, at least till the officer on duty would moswy by, and get all hyper...but compared to the hell the snipes plied thier trade in, it was always better than thier ordeal!

Cochrane TRIVIA 23 years 3 months ago #14972

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Marc,
The few times I was down in Sonar (66-69, it was always so cold that everyone wore work jackets....it was damn cold...compared to Radar One which was right above the forward boiler room....

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds