Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14140

• Paul Anuschat
  • Paul Anuschat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Does anyone have any information about the long term effects of exposure to trichlorethylene (TCE)? During the 60's we used the solvent liberally to clean and degrease equipment. I remember using the stuff to get the black marks off the interior white tile the Cochrane came equipped with in those days. Some of us used it to remove grease from hands and arms. About 1980 it was banned. Yesterday in the local Portland OR newspaper there was a front page article about TCE toxic cleanup problems at local industrial site. There is much concern locally about ill effects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14141

• kelly metz
  • kelly metz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
paul, i used this compound quite liberally to do all of the tasks that you mentioned. and more. i was a rm and also was the tty repair guy and trichlor was the answer for everything...kelly metz<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Does anyone have any information about the long term effects of exposure to trichlorethylene (TCE)? During the 60's we used the solvent liberally to clean and degrease equipment. I remember using the stuff to get the black marks off the interior white tile the Cochrane came equipped with in those days. Some of us used it to remove grease from hands and arms. About 1980 it was banned. Yesterday in the local Portland OR newspaper there was a front page article about TCE toxic cleanup problems at local industrial site. There is much concern locally about ill effects.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14142

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys,
After reading your post, I went onto the internet and found a very informative site. Check it out, and I might suggest you check with the VA to see if there have been reported claims with them. It is
www.atsdr.cdc.gov/facts19.html
I wish you guys well, and let us know what you find because there are probably a lot of us that might have been exposed.

Sorry, but I first typed the cyberjunk language wrong. Try the address above since I corrected it.

Edited by - richard Cooper on 02/21/2001 18:40:54

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14143

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I tried it again, and it still didn't work. I just ran TCE in the search engine, and it gave me the government page on it. Just do that and you'll find a lot of information on this stuf. Sorry to confuse you.

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14145

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Paul and Kelly,
While I couldn't get that address to work, I did click on one of your options that they offer on the screen, and got to the ombudsman report regarding this chemical. I think you might find some good information there.

Long Term Effects of Trichlorethylene? 23 years 7 months ago #14154

• Al Koblinski
I used a lot of TCE in the electronics industry until it was banned in the late 70's as I recall. OSHA probably has reports. The main problem was from the Chlorine. It accumulated in the liver and caused damage there. Often this can be detected with a liver enzyme test. Often hard to tell if the liver damage is from the chemicals or heavy boozing. The effects are about the same as from other chlorinated solvents like "dry cleaning fluid" (Carbon tetrachloride).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds