Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ahoy from Australia 18 years 3 months ago #16200

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Yes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ahoy from Australia 18 years 3 months ago #16201

• flyinhawaiian
  • Thank you received: 0
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by David Melges</i>

Yes
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I see you achieved the rank of LCDR. You always were a go getter Master Chief. Do you know the where abouts of Fred Sides?

Ahoy from Australia 18 years 3 months ago #16202

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Unfourtunately I do not, you may want to post an inquiry in the "Looking for Old Shipmates" forum to see if anyone else knows anything.

Ahoy from Australia 18 years 3 months ago #16203

• flyinhawaiian
Mahalo for the info, I will do that. Aloha nui loa

ET3 79-81

Ahoy from Australia 18 years 1 month ago #16215

• Doug Minko
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Henry M</i>
Two great Navies, separated by a common language.

<font color="blue"></font id="blue">Very well said Henry. I've enjoy reading all of posts regarding this subject. I was on Cochrane 76-78 ... catching the end of a West Pac from Guam back into Pearl. We went through the shipyards ... yet I also remember while we were docked up Pier Side at Bravo Piers .... we had an Australian Ship docked outboard of us. As you fellows remember, it could get pretty hot during a work day .... and I remember watching the Aussies ... in Shorts .... and a Hat ... Possibly Sandals ... but no shirts .... going back and forth across our rear quarter deck to load beer aboard their ship. I didn't care so much about the beer ... yet I sure did envy the wearing of the shorts and no shirt.

Ahoy from Australia 18 years 1 month ago #16217

• Henry M
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I didn't care so much about the beer ... yet I sure did envy the wearing of the shorts and no shirt.

Its true we had a 'wet' Navy, but not everyone drank at sea. The saying was two cans per man, per day, perhaps.

The standard sea rig in summer (or tropic environments)was shorts, shirt and sandals (Dress number 10A with sandals). A really comfortable rig. In winter we went into long trousers with boots (Dress number 8).

It was a great time.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds