Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

IO trip 1976 19 years 1 month ago #16116

• David Melges
  • David Melges's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As I recall we were in Subic Bay on our way back to Pearl and the CO decided to have the local drug dog visit the ship. There were two specific things that come to mind one involving a relatively new member, Norm Wood OS-1, a stellar member of the MAA force. As I recall he was in Ops berthing when the dog hit on something in one of the cable runs and Norm reached up to see what it was. I was told his eyes opened very wide as he latched on to a stuffed cobra someone was bringing back from Pakistan.

The other one happened in First Division berthing; the dog went nuts and started hitting on a locker. When the owner opened it up it had a two or three day old tuna sandwich aging in it.

Now if anyone can confirm or elaborate on this or any other fun that cruise I'd like to hear about it. Just don't talk about the beer boat we used every night we were anchored out in Pakistan, I'm trying to forget the mornings after.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

IO trip 1976 16 years 8 months ago #16329

• pbill
  • Thank you received: 2
I remember that very well- along with the "find" behind the missile computers- couple of guys got caught with contraband from Pakistan- never heard how their court marshal went

IO trip 1976 16 years 7 months ago #16334

• David Melges
  • David Melges's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You know Bill I served in Cochrane from 1971 through 1982, I was the LPO for a while and the LCPO, even did some time as CMAA as well as a duty MAA, but I don't recall any "find" behind the missile computers in all that time. I do recall an exhaust motor being burned out in the MG room (former TARTAR Warhead Magazine) just aft of the computer room because some one using a soda can as a makeshift pot pipe ditched it in an air vent on one of the decks above and it jammed the fan burning out the motor. Please remind me who may have been charged was it Dave Hoskin, Rich Howshaw, Rich Killian or maybe Ken Taczala?
I do remember a FTM1 who was stopped at the gate and a roach was found in his car going to mast but that was well after you left.

IO trip 1976 16 years 7 months ago #16335

• bzlomke
  • Thank you received: 0
All;

Karachi presented many tempting problems as I recall. Too much was readily available. We got searched down to our skivvies on returning from a 6 hour liberty. The morning we pulled out, I was trying to get some shut-eye when the berthing compartment went bright and the XO, etc. came storming through. I grabbed my bedroll and went up to the missile deck and what then proceeded to occur is several stomping feet and slinging of various contraband over the side. Does anyone else have this memory? I recall several rumors of successful missions, but never followed up.

Brad Zlomke, EW1
DDG-21 '74-77

PS: Love this site for reminding me of the good old days.

IO trip 1976 16 years 7 months ago #16336

• giovanni355
  • Thank you received: 0
I remember that west pac very well, an IC men from the snipes berthing had a camale saddle full, they gave him the option to turn it in and no captians mast was givin

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds