Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Working as a group to rename a ship Cochrane 23 years 2 months ago #15048

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I think we all want the name Cochrane to show on the stern of another destroyer. The only way that will ever happen is id we are all persistent, and keep on them. I have already written my senators and congressman. The navy as already told me that they have more names than ships. My congressman never even responded. I don't think that this will be easy, but I think if it is to happen at all we must put pressure wherever we can. I have some ideas on how we might get this accomplished, but I want you to start posting your ideas too. We have some very, very bright guys in our group who just might have that one idea that will get it done.

Edited by - Richard Cooper on 07/01/2001 06:21:27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Working as a group to rename a ship Cochrane 23 years 2 months ago #15051

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
If anyone wants to get a start on this, I am posting the text of the letter here. I have not had a chance to get anything more formal posted so you will have to do this longhand. Copy and paste works well in any word processor.

Dear Congressman/Senator ______________

My name is _______________, and I am a constituent in your district. I am also a U.S. Navy veteran having served aboard the USS Cochrane DDG-21. She was a fine and spirited warship, having served her country with distinction from 1964 - 1990. She is presently in Brownsville, TX, Being scrapped. Those of us who were fortunate enough to have served aboard her, remember her as a ship of courage, distinction, and pride.

She was named after Admiral Edward Lull Cochrane. During WWII, Admiral Cochrane was the Chief of Navy Ship Building. It was Admiral Cochrane who brought our navy from the destruction of Pearl Harbor, to the great and modern navy we have today. With this said, we feel that the name of Cochrane should be on the stearn of another US Navy destroyer. We know about the new DD Land Attack Destroyers being planned, but also think that there are several DDG-51 Arleigh Burke class destroyers under construction without names. We would greatly appreciate your help to this end. Admiral Cochrane served his country well. The USS Cochrane served her country well, also. We feel that to keep the name alive in the US Navy would be fitting to both the man and the warship.

The USS Cochrane Association understands what the life-cycle of a ship is, and understands the need to recycle the ship after its time. We would however, feel very apprciative if you would consider our request to name another warship Cochrane. This would also make the loss of our ship much easier to deal with.

Sincerely,

member, USS Cochrane Association

An easy way to determine who your officials are, just go to the link below and look them up. You can get thier email addresses as well as physical addresses and phone numbers. congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/

This topic will remain locked so it does not get as long as other topics have. If you wish to respond, please create a new topic under this catagory.

MM2 83-85

Working as a group to rename a ship Cochrane 23 years 2 months ago #15061

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
sorry, I just found a type-O in my form letter. Please change it before you send it. In the last paragraph, I mistyped the word make. Please correct it before sending it.

Working as a group to rename a ship Cochrane 23 years 2 months ago #15100

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I haven't heard if anyone has yet sent a request to your congressman. Please let me know about how you feel about renaming another ship, USS Cochrane. We need to light some fires under some of our elected officials if this is going to get done. Does anyone have a contact with the Cochrane family? I remember earlier someone said that they did.

Working as a group to rename a ship Cochrane 23 years 2 months ago #15105

• Snipe
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1
Sorry for the confusion, Guys. I had this forum locked. It is now unlocked so post away...

MM2 83-85

Working as a group to rename a ship Cochrane 23 years 2 months ago #15106

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
thanks John.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds