Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Collision with the Bryce Canyon 18 years 2 weeks ago #16225

• David Melges
  • David Melges's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This occurred when we returned to Pearl from local operations prior to leaving for San Diego, San Francisco and Portland Rose Festival in 1972. We were to moor starboard side to AD-36 at Bravo Piers, the wind was brisk, blowing us towards them so the approach was quick and as the Pilot ordered the tugs to stop our forward motion one of them dropped the load, and we brushed about 100 feet of building 36 driving the camel well below the surface. Damage included bending most of the I-beam braces under the ASROC magazine, damaging the 01 level at the top of the ladder from the main deck and permanently closing the machine shop door on the BC. The end result was we stayed in Pearl for an extra week for repairs, missed the exercise enroute to San Diego and just had a great time on liberty in the three ports.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Collision with the Bryce Canyon 14 years 6 months ago #16508

• tag
  • Thank you received: 0
The same thing happened in Subic when the Staddert and 2 tug boats shoved her anchor through our windbreak
port side. I believe Summer 1976.

Re: Collision with the Bryce Canyon 14 years 6 months ago #16510

• ejc
Dave,
Your memory is still as sharp as ever.  I was in charge of the sea detail on the fantail and we were in shock when we started grinding away at 36.  We sure ran to the port side to stay out of the way. By the way, I'm sure you remember we won the naval fastpitch softball tournament and then played the Handset Sheetmetal Queens of Portland the following day.  It was a great trip.

Re: Collision with the Bryce Canyon 12 years 10 months ago #16631

• J Fryckman
Being on the fantail for Sea & Anchor Detail I also saw of stanchions scrap the bow of the Turner Joy just before hitting the BC.

Re: Collision with the Bryce Canyon 11 years 11 months ago #16666

• rlkilp
I was on the fantail as well. Will never forget the screeching sound as each one of the stanchions were broken off, like they were toothpicks.
Bob Kilp GMG3
BMC Retired

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds