Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

BULLNOSE 21 years 11 months ago #15725

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I had always heard that it was the painted gold because we were the longest in her class. Must be true.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BULLNOSE 21 years 11 months ago #15727

• glong
Seems to me when I was aboard Cochrane 69-71 she was referred to as the "Golden Nose Ghost of the Vietnam Coast", but being a Engineering Ensign at the time, I guess I never ventured to ask anyone why...as I was to be seen, but not heard. Later, I just accepted the slogan as gospel.

BULLNOSE 21 years 11 months ago #15736

• jimf
My Dear Shipmates,

Here is the real story about the Gold Bullnose. Puget Sound B&DD printed the brochures for the commissioning of the Goldsborough and Cochrane. In the Cochrane brochure, she was listed as being inches longer than Goldsborough. PSB&DD was a privately owned yard and the owner was a reasonable person -- an old time ship builder. He and Captain Benson decided the extra inches should be painted Gold so the First Lieutenant did just that.

James M. Fones

BULLNOSE 21 years 11 months ago #15737

• Bill Velto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
As a member of deck force I often pondered that question, "Why do I have to paint this friggin Bull nose gold?" Just like most things in the Navy, there must be a reason. So, one day while I was presenting a request chit to be dischaged from the US Navy to my division chief and as he was reviewing my request, I asked him "why is the Bull Nose painted gold anyway." He responed as I thought he would..."Because I said so, thats why!" An indepth knowledgable bold statement from a man with tatoos of anchors on his ear lobes, hindges on his elbows, a permanent cigarette wedged between his teeth and a cup of coffee that hadn't been washed since he bought it from the ships store.

And the part about it being inches longer, I don't know anyone who ever measured the ship, but that was the other reason the Chief finally told me when I departed for transfer.

BULLNOSE 21 years 11 months ago #15741

• easterwt
One night while on watch, BTC Wallace asked me to get him a cup of coffee. It was in one of those white ships mugs and I decided to wash it for him. I got it spotless back to new. HE WAS PISSED. I had to listen to him the rest of the watch. But he never asked me to get coffee anymore.

BULLNOSE 21 years 10 months ago #15749

• RTS39
Thats a good one only I wish I had thought of it because Sr. Chief had me running for coffee at least three times an hour.

RUSSELL SEAMAN MMFA X2 '78 TO '80

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds