Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14947

• Primo
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
DON'T KNOW WHERE TO PUT THIS....SO....

Was in San Diego over the weekend and got up early Monday morning to watch the fleet leave.. A carrier and an Arlie Burke Class DDG...All I COULD THINK ABOUT WAS ALL THE SNIPES IT TOOK TO GET THEM GOING....YOU SNIPES HAVE RUINT ME!!!

PREMO - ETR2 - JUL 66 to JAN 69

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14949

• chassny03
I remember the full power runs during seatrials, I was surprised since the DDG 2's weren t known for speed.
I always liked when destroyer types were refueling and pulled away veryquickly upon completion. This was especially if two finished at once and both pulled away, one turning to port and one to starboard.
There was a Fletcher class that was really fast; she ran up a roadrunner flag and had a horn that made that MEEP MEEP sound when she turned it on. She did this during full power runs, too...immediately upon the execute signal. It would be the last we d see of her for a while...it might have been Nicholas. This was amazing to me, those 2100/2150 s werent built to sustain speed for 20 years...just to win the war.

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14953

• dcreed
Horace,
Ruint is a little harsh. Enlightened is more appropiate. Deep down you wish that you were a snipe. Oh well we all can't be so lucky

Don Reed
MM2 6/66-11/68

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14959

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ok, Horrace. A snipe in drag.!!! News for the Navy Times. lol.

Guys, I think that the speed of a destroyer was one reason anyone would want to be on one. I used to love the same thing as you, Chief. When we pulled away, and the sea actually washed over the weatherdecks. I used to just stand there and I think I can almost taste the salt now. Without getting any more emotional than this, I think these really were some of my favorite times in my life. Perhaps this is why this site means so much to so many of us.

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14960

• schlog
Allright y'all , I know the Cochrane did 42 knots on sea trials because I was aboard and with-stood it .
How about this , does anyone remember it took us 29 days to get from San Diego to Hawaii cause we did circles all the way across the pond (pacific Ocean )?

SEA TRIALS 23 years 3 months ago #14964

• Marc Tuton
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I would really like to believe she would have done that, pushing that big onion of a sonar dome up there really didnt help matters much, Im sure!

Time to create page: 0.539 seconds