Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14327

• billgx
  • Thank you received: 0
Will someone please tell me the story behind the Taking Fire video? Those were some close calls. I was a late '80's Cochrane sailor, and only heard rumors of her Vietnam exploits, nothing from anyone who was there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14331

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Will someone please tell me the story behind the Taking Fire video? Those were some close calls. I was a late '80's Cochrane sailor, and only heard rumors of her Vietnam exploits, nothing from anyone who was there.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14332

• David Melges
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I was onboard during the 1971 & 1972-73 cruises serving in Fox Division. I believe the video you are refering to was taken by the FTG-1 "Fat Ed" Comes from director 1 during a daylight mission off N. Vietnam. Cochrane was the counter battery supression ship while a FRAM destroyer was firing the mission. Our job was to observe any gun fire from the beach and then engage them protecting the ship firing the mission. When we started firing the shore battery returned fire. If not for the XO who was conning we probably would have been hit but he steered toward the fall of shot. This prevented the shore battery from gaining our range throught the spots they applied.
Do you have a copy of the video? If you do please let me know at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Thanks

[/quote]

[/quote]

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14333

• billgx
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I was onboard during the 1971 & 1972-73 cruises serving in Fox Division. I believe the video you are refering to was taken by the FTG-1 "Fat Ed" Comes from director 1 during a daylight mission off N. Vietnam. Cochrane was the counter battery supression ship while a FRAM destroyer was firing the mission. Our job was to observe any gun fire from the beach and then engage them protecting the ship firing the mission. When we started firing the shore battery returned fire. If not for the XO who was conning we probably would have been hit but he steered toward the fall of shot. This prevented the shore battery from gaining our range throught the spots they applied.
Do you have a copy of the video? If you do please let me know at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Thanks

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

[/quote]

[/quote]

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14334

• billgx
I saw the video on this website.

goto www.usscochrane.com/ddg21/video.htm

It gave me chills.

Bill Genereux

Thanks

[/quote]

[/quote]

Taking Fire 23 years 6 months ago #14340

• Al Koblinski
Cool video! We also came under fire off N. VN in April (as I recall) of 1968 just after the famous TET offensive. There are a couple of still pix in the cruise '68 cruise book. Nothing splashed as close that time as the pops in the video. I used to hang out on the signal bridge during GQ since I could read flashing light messages but not for that mission. The cheif discovered that I wasn't at my ASSIGNED station and put a stop to that. I only remember the sounds of the Cochrane spooling up to flank speed to get the hell out of there and the basic "holy sh.t". As I recall, this was between "Tiger Island" and the NVN mainland.I think that was the first time the ole Cochrane came under hostile fire.

"Ski" ETN2 (June 66 to Aug 68)

Time to create page: 0.310 seconds