Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bomb Test 23 years 6 months ago #14269

• Richard Cooper
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I remember the tital wave but I don't remember the bomb. When was that? I'm trying to figure if I was still aboard at the time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bomb Test 23 years 6 months ago #14270

• Ken Keeler
  • Ken Keeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Richard,
Don't remember exactly when it was but we had not been in Hawaii very long when they sent us out for the test.

Bomb Test 23 years 6 months ago #14312

• seymour
Jim
I remember the bomb test very well.
I think both of us, and most of the
GM's and FT's participated in the work party that stack the squares of TNT....
And yes it was 500 tons and huge, like a big igloo.
Hi Richard (Coop) Cooper...
Don't know if you remember me but the most vivid memory I have of you is the guys lined up outside sick bay after we were in Subic Bay. Send me an e-mail if you get a chance.

Bomb Test 23 years 4 months ago #14766

• schlog
I remember the bomb test too . There were a bunch of scientists aboard and they figgered out a bunch of places on the ship that needed sensors to record the event . 1st class EM "Robbie" Robinson and I were volunteered to put them in place and wire them to the main computer , such as it was then . Robbie and I spent a couple of weeks stringing wire every where on the ship . Top of the mast to deep into the bowels of the old girl . Seems we stayed tied down to those anchors for a week or two till the TNT got stacked just right and every thing was in place . They had everything from tugs to LST's at anchor out there to see the effects the BLAST would have on different sized craft and from different ranges . Seems like when they LET ER RIP it was no worse than a medium ocean we had all been through before . For those of you there , how did it feel being a LAB RAT used for tests ?

Bomb Test 23 years 4 months ago #14767

• Ken Keeler
  • Ken Keeler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thought that it was pretty interesting, Almost all of the rocks missed us entirely. when the blast went off you could wath the debris hitting the water in concentric circles. we were parked between cicles.
Seems to me like we had to slip the moorings for awhile because of a tasumi warning. any body remember that?

Ken Keeler QM2 63-65

Bomb Test 23 years 4 months ago #14768

• schlog
i remember slipping the moorings but nothing happened . we hauled ass outta there then we went right back . no big deal .

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds